Many of our early settlers made their way across New York State from Vermont along the Great Central Trail, known to us today as Buffalo Road and Route 5. The early trails were only 12-18 inches wide and were gradually widened to about 10 feet to allow for the passage of wagons. The Holland Land Purchase, which comprised most of the land west of the Genesee, was the gate that opened this area to settlement. The land sold by agents for the Holland Land Company went for $2.50 per acre. By 1809 Ridge Road was considered one of the best roads in New York State. A coach line had even been established to take travelers from Canandaigua to Lewiston.