As early as 1825, the corner of Main and State Street in Middleport was known for its stately hotel, then called the Pierce House. One of the finest establishments in the area, it provided a home away from home for many a traveler who passed through this area.
After a fire in 1883, the original wooden building was replaced in 1884 by one made of brick by the new owner, A.D. Rich. The new building was 118 feet long, 47 feet wide and three stories high. The main floor had a large dining room, billiard and bar room and offices. Upstairs were large sleeping apartments some of which provided a starting home for many local young married couples.
After several more proprietors, the building was sold to George Fenton in 1922. The building stood at that corner until 1966 when the property was sold to make way for a gas station.
Today it is the location of the Cornerstone Credit Union building.