Life in the Village of Middleport NY on the Erie Canal
April 25, 2014 12:58 am

Behind the scenes story for “Falling for the Porches of Middleport” poster

 

How did the poster featuring some of the many wonderful and welcoming porches in Middleport, NY get made? Photographer Gretchen Schweigert talks about how she photographed some of them and what they mean to her in this YouTube video.  The poster is available for a suggested $5 donation. Funds raised will be used to publish More Info »

more

Middleport Industrial Chart 1881

 

The art in this industrial chart produced in 1881 was attributed to two artists, Philleo who sketched the bodies and other figures  and Pollard who was responsible for the faces.  W.F. Pollard and Company were responsible for cartoons and commercial advertising in the local Middleport Times and the Middleport Mail who fought for newspaper supremacy More Info »

more

Using Native Plants in the Garden

 

Learn from a Master Gardener! A Master Gardener from the Cornell Cooperative Extension will be at the Royalton Hartland Community Library with a presentation of information about how to use native plants in the garden on Tuesday, May 6 at 7 PM. The program will be followed by a Q & A session and everyone More Info »

more

Middleport grows with the Erie Canal

 

The start of the building of the Erie Canal in 1817 until its official opening in 1825 helped to spur the growth of our little community.  Even the name Middleport comes from our location midway between Lockport and Newport. Newport is now known to us as Albion. At a cost of over 7 million dollars More Info »

more

Early Settlers head for WNY

 

After Batavia was made the county seat in 1802, the Holland Land Company, comprised of 6 different Dutch banking houses, opened this area to settlers with prices of $2.50 per acre of land.  Some of the early names in our area were James Lyman, James Williams, John Griswold and of course Asher Freeman. Mr. Freeman bought More Info »

more

Dr. Kent Williams, Middleport family doctor

 

The August 17, 1975 edition of the Niagara Gazette shared with its readers the details of “Dr. Kent D. Williams Day” as the Middleport community prepared to say farewell to a beloved resident.  After 39 years of “healing bodies and soothing minds”, Dr. Williams and his wife Emily were getting ready to retire to Florida More Info »

more

Guidelines for your news

 

We’d love to hear your Village of Middleport news and views. This website is for the promotion of the Village of Middleport, NY. There are other websites and media outlets that have stories about the Village – this page is specifically about the good things that we love about Life in the Village of Middleport. More Info »

more

Middleport’s Opera House

 

by Anna Wallace, Former Village Historian The early Opera Houses were the major activity and entertainment centers for their communities. The first one here was Compton’s Opera House on Main Street, where the old theater, as and where the dentist office is located now. It burned in 1876. I’ve not learned just when the Opera More Info »

more

Union Free School Fire of 1910

 

Early Middleport was often the scene of devastating fires but none as sad as the early morning fire of February 23, 1910.  Firemen were called to the south side of Park Avenue near Vernon Street to the building that housed the Union Free School, which had been established in 1891 to ensure “educating our children More Info »

more