Calling Middleport!

By Anna Wallace, Former Middleport Village Historian The first dial telephones in the area were installed in 1938 at Middleport and Gasport, apparently as a “trial run”. Lockport, with 10,000 customers, received their dial system in 1951. In 1950, New York Telephone Company was granted the first rate increase in 20 years. Middleport residence private lines cost $3.25; 4-party lines and rural, $2.50. Business private, $5.50; 2-party lines $4.75, rural $3.75. There were 1385 phones in Middleport and Gasport. In 1930, Middleport could call only 1050 phones toll-free; now Middleport subscribers could reach 1550 without toll. All Middleport numbers received 5 digits, beginning with the office designation “6” in 1951, the first step in the program, which in the future would make it possible for More Info »

Read more