Middleport’s connection across the pond!

As Published October 14, 2014 in the Lockport Union-Sun & Journal This article entitled “Middleport Connection” was published on the front page of the Lockport Union-Sun & Journal, and the paper has given their permission for it to be reproduced here. Article written by Michael Canfield Back in January, Village of Middleport Historian Christa Lutz received an email from an English man who was interested in learning about the village. The man, who hails from Burslem, England, is employed by the Prince’s Regeneration Trust, an initiative working to rehabilitate historic sites around England. As it turns out, there is a Middleport in England. It is a suburb of Burslem and is situated on a canal, like its American counterpart. “He wondered how we were alike […]

Read more

Where did Park Avenue get its name and why is that small nude statue in the Village Hall?

By Anna Wallace, former Village Historian On the 1860 map of the Village, the first after incorporation, the area between Main Street and Vernon Street, now “the park”, was “Common Hall”. Possibly developed in a way similar to the old New England villages where the public buildings surrounded the village square, in that in 1827 the Methodist Episcopal Church was built on the southwest corner of the Common in 1841 the Universalist Church was erected on Main Street at the end of the Common, and in 1843 the Academy was built across from the Methodist Church. At the southeast end of the Common, District #1 school was built in 1846 with the third addition in 1898. Across the corner the Vernon Hotel was erected by […]

Read more