After Batavia was made the county seat in 1802, the Holland Land Company, comprised of 6 different Dutch banking houses, opened this area to settlers with prices of $2.50 per acre of land. Some of the early names in our area were James Lyman, James Williams, John Griswold and of course Asher Freeman.
Mr. Freeman bought some 500 acres of land and built a home which was the only one between Batavia and Slayton Settlement. Because he was one of the principal land owners, Freeman’s Corners became a name used for a period of time.
Some of the other names for our early community were Barlow’s Corners, Taylor’s Corners and Ewing’s Corners as well as Peeneyville, Pucker and Tea Pot Hollow.